Complete Powerpoint slide presentation for forklift instructors. Ready made training course
Approved Code of Practice - supervisor training
The most significant change to the Approved Code Of Practice is the added emphasis on the training of managers and supervisors. Much greater emphasis is now being placed on the supervision of forklift operators. The ACOP states that supervisors should be sufficiently trained to identify any potential hazards occurring in everyday forklift truck usage. They should be able to:
- Carry out effective observations and know what to look out for
- Co-operate effectively with operators and managers
- Recognise unsafe practices and behaviour
- Maintain and promote health and safety standards
Whilst not required to qualify as forklift truck operators, managers and supervisors are legally responsible for ensuring everyday operations are carried out safely.
The ACOP states.
- Think about the safe movement of lift trucks and loads as part of your overall safety policy
- Reduce risk points where trucks might meet other traffic or pedestrians
- Where possible prohibit pedestrians from lift truck operating areas
- Ensure that everyone working in the area is properly trained and understand how to work properly, even the pedestrians
- Members of the public should not be allowed in operating areas. Where this does need to happen there should be a written procedure outlining precautions
- All operating areas should be suitably designed and maintained
- Every truck should have a valid report of thorough examination
- Pre shift checks should be completed by operators prior to each shift
Forklift trucks should not be operated outside their capabilities such as:
- Carrying pedestrians
- Handling loads outside their capacity
- Being manoeuvred in a way that could cause them to tip over
Disclaimer. The legislative information contained on this web site is my interpretation of the law based on many years in the health and safety business. A definitive interpretation can only be given by the courts. I will therefore not be held responsible for any accident/incident/prosecution arising as a consequence of anyone using any information obtained from this web site.